Saturday 30 April 2011

Food, free to a good home!

I think one of the best things about starting this blog has been that now all my friends and family know that I am on the hunt for budget busting deals.  People have bought me their leftover fruit and veg before they head on holidays, or have been sharing their fresh eggs, herbs and vegetables that they have grown.  Today I was the happy recipient of 2L of milk just past its best before date (but tasting fine).  So this evening I am making slow cooker rice pudding. I have made nicer rice puddings before, but this is so very easy to make I think its a decent trade off.  I follow the recipe as directed but halve the amount of butter used.

With my roast chicken dinner  with fresh rosemary cooking in the oven and the slow cooker going on the bench, the house is smelling so lovely and cosy.

1 comment:

  1. If you use less fat (especially butter) you may need to add more flavour like sugar and/or salt. Fat holds flavours so reducing makes food more bland. Mum..

    ReplyDelete