Wednesday 6 April 2011

Another busy day in the kitchen

I'm exhausted! Today seemed like one of the first "normal" days we have had in a long time and I think its all catching up with me.  But no time for rest, baking time is precious and Wednesday is my day off work.  Today my husband requested some donuts from the shops, but I was adamant that I would make some treats using things we already had instead.  That resulted in Anzac slice and Orange Marmalade Cake.

I have a surplus of rolled oats, and was keen to make Anzac biccies, but found a recipe for Anzac slice instead.  Only I should have read to the end of the recipe as you do need to keep a really close eye on it.  Mine didn't burn but I would have preferred a chewy slice rather than the more biscuit consistency that it turned out.  But it tastes yummy so I think I will try it again soon.


Don't ask me why, but in addition to a surplus of rolled oats, I have plenty of marmalade and still had a few oranges left in the fruit bowl.  This Orange marmalade cake could have done with a few extra minutes in the oven but it was school pickup time so I had to cut my losses!  I'm loving this Kidspot kitchen website, the recipes are really quick and easy plus there isn't a ridiculous number of recipes to choose from (which sometimes I find really annoying when looking to make a quick decision about what to make).  I added icing using the recipe from the orange cake I made on the weekend.  Haven't tasted this one yet, but Mr 5 just had some for dessert and said "Mum, I love your cooking".  This made the hundreds of meals I have cooked and he has hated, worthwhile. 


On top of all that it was beef and tomato gnocchi casserole night.  It worked out well, I didn't make the garlic bread - wish I had though.  I'm a bit over casseroles and gravy beef though, think I planned too many in a short space of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment