Thursday 21 April 2011

Meatballs

One of our most loved super quick meals is ready made meatballs and spaghetti.  Usually this meal must be accompanied by the "On top of spaghetti" song. I am pretty particular with the meatballs I  buy from the supermarket, I prefer the pre-cooked small size char-grilled beef meatballs.  Then I add a jar of pasta sauce and bake them in a low oven for about 40 minutes.

Today I decided to try making my own.  Not any more economical, in fact probably a tad more expensive but at least I know exactly what is in the ones I made (secret vegetables!):
  • 1 kg premium mince
  • Small onion (I used leek as I had no onion) (diced)
  • 2 cloves garlic (diced)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
  • 1 zuchinni (grated)
  1. All these ingredients go into the food processor and mix well.
  2. Make small balls with your hands
  3. Brown meatballs in hot fry pan with a little olive oil
  4. Place into a baking dish and add a large jar of pasta sauce (about 800g)
  5. Bake at about 160 C for 45 minutes
  6. Meanwhile cook enough spaghetti (I cooked a whole packet and had enough leftovers for 2 frozen meals) and grate some cheese
  7. Don't forget to sing the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment