Monday 8 August 2011

Caramel slice?

This is a very special and yummy recipe.  I am very pleased to be able to share it with you.  My cousin-in-law (is there such a thing?) was recently handed down by her grandmother a handwritten recipe book.  It was her grandmother's collection from a life time of cooking.  A very special gift.

Now this recipe is called caramel slice, but I am not sure I agree with the title.  More like a "date slice" or a "date and caramel slice".  On good advice I topped it with a very thin layer of chocolate icing (made from icing sugar, water and cocoa powder).  It is very moreish!

By the way 1/4 of a pound of butter is about 112g.  Needless to say I left out the nuts so that I can use it for a school snack too.


1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing that recipe with us...it is indeed a very special gift. I have a very similar recipe called date and walnut slice and it has caramel icing.

    ReplyDelete