Sunday 12 June 2011

Date loaf

I don't know how many times I have cooked this yummy loaf.  It is getting a good work out at the moment given my other most cooked bakery item is banana bread.  Since the price of bananas has soared, there has been no banana bread happening here.  This date loaf is extra great given it needs no eggs, so it is a good trusted treat for when the cupboard is bare.  It also freezes really well, especially wrapped in slices ready for school lunches, or a shift worker's breakfast.

Unfortunately I cannot lay claim to this great recipe, but I did ask my lovely neighbour Lara if she was happy for me to share.  So here it is, I guarantee you will love it.

  • 1 cup chopped dates (I use kitchen scissors and cut them into 3)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 60 grams butter or margarine
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
  1. Places the dates, sugar and butter in a bowl
  2. Add hot water and stir until butter melted and mixed together
  3. Add flour, bicarb soda and vanilla and mix well
  4. Cook in a greased loaf tin at 180C for 35 minutes
 

This picture was a double batch, my smaller tin works best with this mix...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment