Monday 16 May 2011

A quick, easy chocolate and coconut slice

I like to bake my own snacks and treats for school.  I know these are not the most healthy things to do but I remember the school yard as a difficult place, where it can be really really important as to what is in your lunch box.  Nothing worse than opening your lunch box to only find a Vegemite sandwich and an apple.  My theory is at least if I make most of our treats I know exactly what is in them and I can choose healthier options, or make smaller portions. I figure the older they get, then if I don't make an effort to provide yummy food then the more likely they are to supplement their packed lunch with treats from the canteen or hot chips on the way home.


I found this chocolate slice the other day and decided it was worth a try given weetbix were the main ingredient.  I didn't have any cocoa on hand (what is going on with that!) but I had drinking chocolate instead and this substitution worked out really well.  Only the end result wasn't as dark as the picture in the recipe.  I also used a half/half mixture of wholemeal SR flour and normal SR flour.  This slice packs and transports really well too, I lugged some around in my handbag for most of the weekend and it stayed intact (what wasn't eaten!). I will definitely be making this one again.

1 comment:

  1. I like that thinking, about giving them treats to compete with the canteen. I think I may have to try that with my husband. He hates having his own lunch when everyone on the work site gets takeaway.

    ReplyDelete