Tuesday 24 May 2011

Keeping it all together

A couple of girlfriends have asked me recently how do I keep it all together and under control??  Simple answer: I really don't!! Everything is usually chaotic and rushed and frayed tempers are not uncommon let alone a huge pile of washing to fold and dishes in the sink.  If you have visited my house recently, you can definitely vouch that this is the case.

To try and ease some of this rushed and crazy feeling I make sure I plan quick and easy meals (or leftovers or cook ahead options) for the days when I am at work.  Then on my day off and weekends I do loads of baking and cooking to see us through the next week. 

Our other single most relied on organisational tip is that my husband and I share an online calendar synced to our phones, so if its in the calendar its happening and its your responsibility to know about it.  And EVERYTHING goes into the calendar.  A downside to this is our phones are continuously going "bing bong" reminding us to pay a bill, return a note for an excursion, wear mufti, or be somewhere for a meeting or appointment.

My only survival tip here is that you have to learn to let things go.  If you are working and a mum, its unlikely you are going to stay on top of the housework too.  That's ok, its probably only you who cares.  I know its easier said than done, I'm not good at going to bed with a messy house - but I am getting better at leaving it until I at least have the time to deal with it properly and head to bed at a reasonable hour instead.  My bet is its probably not much different for stay at home parents, lets face it, its often easier to go to work for the day than it is to mind the kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment