Saturday 21 May 2011

Melt in your mouth shin stew thanks to Jamie

If only web pages could be "Scratch and Sniff"... when I was cooking this the house smelt so very good! Great recipe for the colder weather.  I must say I was a little dubious about the cinnamon and red onions, but it really worked!

I made a couple of ingredient substitutions, just a small amount of ground cinnamon instead of the cinnamon stick, just the red wine I had open in the pantry (and probably only a third of the bottle) and fresh button mushrooms.  First time I used my Circulon pan in the oven, it worked really well.

Probably the best bit about this recipe that all my carrots, celery and mushrooms where nearing the end of their useful life, and by the time this dish was cooked you could not even tell.  I served it with mashed potato and there was enough for plenty of leftovers for another meal too.  Can't say the kids loved it (they did eat it), but not much other than sausages and ravioli gets eaten by Mr 3 at the moment anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment