Wednesday 27 July 2011

Massaman beef curry

My kids aren't the only fussy mouths in this household.  My husband has very definite food likes and dislikes.  And generally curry would be firmly in the dislike column.  We had a Thai meal recently with friends (Thai food is also generally in his dislike column but he was out-voted on this occasion) and he really enjoyed the massaman beef.  So I decided to try it out at home.  At first I was going to make it from scratch, but time is precious at the moment.  I seem to be struggling to get meals on the table at reasonable times so I decided to try a packet mix first.  Not to mention I didn't have to outlay money on some of the more pricey but necessary ingredients when cooking it from scratch.

This is the second time I have used this Kantong Massaman Curry meal base.  Of course I didn't quite follow the instructions.  I used chuck steak so chucked it all in the casserole dish in the oven (with triple the number of potatoes and double the quantity of meat) for a couple of hours.  **Wondering if this is why it is called "chuck" steak??**  It makes the house smell lovely and cosy whilst cooking and has become a firm favourite for the adults in the house.  Its a great flavour especially for those unadventurous people who don't like things too spicy.  I'm looking forward to eating tonight and enjoy a nice glass of white wine.

1 comment:

  1. Love massaman Ellen!

    It's one of thoses things the longer you cook it, the better it tastes! We also add big chunks of carrort and sprinkle with some peanuts . . . mmmm!

    ReplyDelete