Friday 1 July 2011

Modified carbonara

One of these mixes is usually hiding in my cupboard.  Some people think meal bases are just not "real" cooking, or a healthy meal option.  Sometimes I think those people forget that if there are not quick and easy dinner options many of us will instead have tinned spaghetti on toast or call in a takeaway.  Neither I think are probably as nutritional as a "meal base" meal like this.



This is the Dolmio Italian Meal Base mixes - Carbonara.  Here is what the packet says:


Here is what I did with it tonight
  • 300g beautiful, fresh ham off the bone, sliced in narrow strips
  • 4 mushrooms, sliced
  • small handful of parsley, diced finely
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • 3/4 pack spaghetti
  • Not quite 300ml of light thickened cream (only because this is all I had)
  1. Set the pasta to cook in a saucepan
  2. Meanwhile, in a fry pan drizzle some oil and lightly fry the mushrooms and ham
  3. Once the pasta is cooked, combine everything in the fry pan and heat through
  4. Add the parsley at the last minute
  5. Serve to the kids and cross your fingers no one whinges about the mushrooms tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I am totally with you on the virtues of packet 'meal helpers'. In a perfect world there is always plenty of time to whip up a feast entirely from scratch, but working, running a household and raising children( and keeping your sanity!) makes all good intentions fly out the window.
    I, myself use the odd packet of help and would choose that any day over something on toast, especially for growing kids.
    The way you have adapted it also makes it far from ordinary.
    Well done you! I bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete