Sunday 27 March 2011

Week 3

This week has gone really well.  I definitely upped my game with the fortnightly menu plan, plus I had a free delivery voucher on my online shopping.  Not to mention the absolute bargain basement price I got on chicken breast (as you can see from the menu below) A friend also put me in touch with a great home delivery fruit and veg service that is delivered straight from the market.  I received our first $25 box this week and was really impressed with the quantity and quality.  I'm thinking this order may make a regular feature.

Week 3-4 menu plan

Saturday – Leftovers
Sunday Beef stew with mash and make raspberry butter cake I had half a bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer since Christmas, this cake worked really well and kept for the whole week.  The stew I substituted with gravy beef and cooked slowly for about 4 hours - it was beautiful!
Monday – Meatballs and spaghetti
Tuesday Bacon and pea pasta this recipe was great and will definitely become a regular fixture
Wednesday –Sausages, home made wedges and veg
Thursday – Frozen spag bol sauce and spaghetti
Friday –Meatloaf, potatoes, peas and brocolli (well for me anyway)
Saturday – Honey mustard roast chicken, potato, pumpkin, asparagus, peas and corn and make stock
Sunday Chicken and mushroom fettuccine and sticky date pudding not a huge fan of the pasta but the pudding worked out beautiful, even if I forgot to measure the water and it took a bit longer to cook.
Monday – Chicken meatball soup
Tuesday - Nachos

Now for those of you wondering, the fortnight officially runs Wednesday to Wednesday.  This fortnight was a little short as we moved house on the first 3 days and food was either meals from the freezer or precooked meals from our friends and family helping us move.  Let me be clear, this is not cheating.  We often have people over for dinner, or I might make a meal for a friend who needs a hand.  Or we take dessert and wine when heading to someone's house for a meal.  Similarly, these all come out of that same budget.

The chicken and mushroom fettuccine underway, not my favourite meal of the week but it made heaps: 3 extra serves in the freezer.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,
    You are so inspiring! I used to do this but have gotten out of the habit. I am definitely going back to my old ways after reading this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen - a question for you:
    If you purchase food when you fill up with petrol, ie one of those chocolate bars with my name on it at the counter - would that count towards my food budget or the petrol budget?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha I'm not sure it matters because it's all your money in the end!

    ReplyDelete