Monday 17 October 2011

Taking stock

Having large containers of stock in the pantry is essential.  But most of the recipes I cook, I always end up with some left over.  If I am clever with my planning I pre-empt this and cook two different dishes requiring stock close together to make the best use of it.  I hate having to throw leftovers out!  Of course most people know you can freeze stock and many people suggest ice cube trays.  I prefer freezing in 1/2 or 1 cup quantities personally because that is how much I am likely to need at a later date.

Be careful, I only recently read up on freezing and re-heating home made meat-based stock, and it is more complicated than the store bought variety.  There are a variety of use by options and methods on line.  I read through loads and the most important thing I think I learnt was to remember to not freeze the meal you end up making with it.  Now I am no expert of food safety, so if you are not sure about this make sure you read up on it too!

1 comment:

  1. you are absolutely right, Ellen. If you make and freeze stock(of any kind) it can only be reheated once. it is important to note, that when reheating, food must be heated thoroughly and until it is piping hot, that is above 60c, to kill any bacteria which may have bred during the cooling process after the food was cooked.
    Bacteria like ecoli, clostridium perfringens, salmonela & staphlococcus aureus all thrive wherever food and water are present and it only takes 20 minutes at room temperature for bacteria to begin doubling in mass & quantity.
    The most dangerous time is when leftover food is cooling, so the quicker food reaches < 4c, the less chance of too much bacteria. Safest bet is under 20 minutes. Same applies to defrosting raw or cooked food..and we all know not to defrost on the sink, don't we ??

    ReplyDelete